Thursday, December 9, 2010

Magic Bars

Have you ever made Magic Bars? I've made the ones that Betty Crocker helps you make before, but never from scratch. I always wondered why they called them Magic Bars...Well I now I know, would you like me to let you in on the secret?

I found a new recipe book the other week. I might be turning into Betty Crocker...

This week an opportunity presented itself where I would need/want to provide homemade goodness. Okay, Okay, more of the want side but who's asking? I returned to the recipe books to find a recipe for a cookie/bar that I could make using ingredients that were currently taking up residence in my pantry. The answer? Magic Bars. They were magically easy, five ingredients folks. They were also magically easy to prepare and bake.

When all was said and done, I wasn't able to attend the event planned due to illness. Hmmm Magic Bars magically entered the dessert picture in our house. And they magically disappeared too! It only took 48 hours to devour the entire pan of Magic Bars in our house. How bad is that?

Want the recipe? Thank the good people over at Gooseberry Patch, specifically, Ms. Melanie Heffner
She helped make a little Homemade Holiday Magic over at our house this week.

Magic Bars

Ingredients:
1/2 cup butter or margarine melted
1 1/3 cups of graham cracker crumbs
14 ounce can Sweetened Condensed Milk
1 1/2 cups chocolate chips ( I used the whole bag- didn't even measure...)
1 1/2 cups of chopped walnuts

Directions:
Stir together butter and graham cracker crumbs , press into a 13x9 baking dish. Pour milk over crumb mixture, sprinkle with chocolate chips and walnuts. Bake at 350 degrees for 25 minutes or until edges are browned and bubbly. Makes 2 dozen.


Now you know why they are called Magic Bars. They call for magically easy ingredients, they are magically easy to make, and they are so magically delicious that they magically disappear too. If only other things in life were just that easy...

2 comments:

Sandy said...

Magic bars and one of my favorites, Amy! I've added coconut on top and butterscotch chips in addition to chocolate. YUM! Think I need to make some soon:)
Wishing a peaceful Christmas to you and your family.

Erin said...

Yum! I am going to try these. I even have everything I need now! Remind me to send you the recipe for peanut butter chocolate bars I have that are this easy. You will hate me. they are addictive!