Monday, February 1, 2010

Weekending/Month Ending

Meant to publish this yesterday but got too bust taking care of the boys. Happy to report everyone is even better today. Oldest son still not feeling great, but did go to school. Little guy has improved and is playing the Wii as we speak!



I cannot believe today is the first of February. Where does the time go?

If you read my last post, you know that I have been spending time catching up on a lot of things. For the better part of the weekend, much time was spent cuddling, watching movies, reading books, and napping. After only one call in to the doctor late Friday afternoon, I am proud to say that I otherwise avoided that need for the duration of the weekend. The little one seems to be on the mend and moving steadily along in the right direction. Still pale, doesn't have a great appetite, perks up and then seems worn out, content to be still way longer than normal. All reasons why we decided to keep him home from school today. No need to push the envelope and relapse or be exposed to yet another virus too soon. My other son is actually home sick as well, perhaps suffering from the same virus, which will hopefully not render the same journey for his body. No more hospitals!!!

We caught up on laundry and even managed to put it away. We dined on delicious soup/stews made by my Mom and a member of my Meal Swap group. Have I mentioned before how much I love being part of a meal swap?? It makes 5 p.m on week nights a lot more peaceful and helps gets a delicious meal that would otherwise not be able to be made, on the table for us all to enjoy. Seriously, meals would be a whole lot simpler and there would be many more repeats. The meal swap has been a huge success and we have honestly enjoyed each and every meal. Thank you ladies, Dinner Diva's. I am so grateful to be a part of this group!

I had a chance to do some some baking with the kids to use up items from our pantry. I haven't been to the grocery store for two weeks now and was rescued last week by a good friend who supplied us with a few essentials. I am thinking that with any luck, I may be able to avoid the store again this week. Partly because the boys are home sick today, which is when I would normally go to the store, but also because I have many meals in my freezer, plenty of supplies for both breakfasts and lunches, which only leaves snacks. We will need to be a little creative and do without our favorites, but I think we can make it until next week. So back to baking, we made Pumpkin bread which turned out well and was enjoyed for breakfast this morning with yogurt. The banana bread, on the other hand, did not turn out so well. We were lacking the baking soda, which was apparently way more important than I realized. We threw the banana bread away since it basically turned out to be a dense brick.

It snowed again this weekend. This winter, the accumulating snow has almost all fallen on a Saturday. I had been out to breakfast with my daughter and my mom when we began to notice the snow falling and laying on the ground. We were only supposed to get a dusting, but when all was said and done, ended up with almost seven inches. The older kids enjoyed the time playing in the snow. The little guy was less than thrilled to stay indoors. Can't say I blame him. Call me old fashioned, but I just thought it would be best to keep him inside and warm. The "olders" threw snow balls at the window and brought some snow in for the little guy to play with. The little guy enjoyed a new experience of decorating our front door with Window Markers. Neat concept, one that some of my older Aunts in the family don't agree with. (My family would remember a story at my sister's bridal shower where we had decorated the windows much to the dismay of one Aunt) :)

The snow is always so beautiful when it is falling. Somehow, the world seems to slow down a little and appears to be peaceful as far as the eye can see.

On Saturday, I was very unsettled and at first couldn't put my finger on what it was. I figured out that it was the date that was bothering me but I wasn't sure I understood why. Jeremy was born on the 30th of the month, but at this point, even if he were alive, we wouldn't be counting his age in months anymore. Perhaps I am feeling the loss of being able to count them all...Perhaps, I was just really missing him.

I spent a lot of time reflecting on how blessed I truly am. We were once again carried through a really tough time. We were carried through the storm by our Savior. HE provided many provisions for us through family and friends who helped with babysitting, visits in the hospital, cards, meals, prayers, phone calls, and e-mails. Thanks again to everyone who helped us last week.

1 comment:

Julie said...

Praise God the little one is better! What a scary thing for you to have to endure. I can imagine you were a bit jumpy, as is to be expected. Sweet Amy, nobody expects any different of you after all that your family has been through. Give yourself time, dear one. Don't stress too much about whether or not you have grown....I can tell you from the outside it is CLEAR that growth is occurring in your heart on a daily basis. God understands your fears, your anxieties, and your discomfort with having another child in the hospital. He expects nothing more of you. After all, what parent is completely calm in the midst of such stress? Not one! You especially have to expect a bit of post-traumatic stress when it comes to these things. Satan will use those beeps, alarms, and even the littlest cough to send your mind into overdrive worrying about the "what if".

Sweet warrior, these are the battles you are challenged to fight so that you will keep looking upward. After all, if things were always easy, and we never had worry or stress, we may easily forget to keep our grip on the hand of the Almighty for our strength. Not that it makes these times any easier.....just helps you have grace and compassion with yourself in not expecting you to react perfectly. I don't even know that there is a perfect reaction! Even think back to Jesus when he learned of Lazarus' death...he was "deeply troubled" and saddened. These feelings and reactions you have to the situation are normal and expected.

You're facing the Son, you're on the right path, just keep treading water! Praise God for being on solid ground again and the healing for your son. I'm so happy for that answered prayer!

Peace,
Julie