Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Back to School Lunch Edition

We've been gearing up for the first day of school for awhile now it seems. Doesn't that make perfect sense? I hurry up and get everything ready and then drag my feet and refuse to let go of summer. Yes, I know. I wear my own self out.

I'll share a few of my favorite Back to School things. I'll start with lunch stuff. Our kids pack a snack and a lunch four days a week during the school year. Hubby takes a lunch to work too. I prefer to pack what I can the night before to make the mornings a little less chaotic, so my nights get a little busy during the school year.

My kids each have a lunchbox from L.L.Bean. The older ones have had theirs for a few years now and they have held up year after year wonderfully. I have been known to throw them into the washing machine from time to time and they still look great for this school year. Our little guy just got a new one this year. Here's hoping his lasts just as long. They may have been a little more expensive than those in Target and Walmart but they sure have held up to the wear and tear of what we have put them through after several years.




A friend of mine and I researched last summer to find the perfect lunch system. We wanted to be more conscious of the environment and not create so much wasted trash. We were looking for a system that wasn't too expensive and one that did not have so many little containers and lids. Boy would that wear me out day after day washing all of those things. Alas, we found EasyLunchboxes.com. Go there now and check them out for yourself. They really are quite wonderful. They are inexpensive and they do hold up after many uses. Our set lasted the whole school year and even traveled with us this summer to the pool, the beach, and beyond. I did order new ones for this school year but at that price, I felt like they performed as expected and I was ready to make another purchase. I pack two of these containers for each of my kids most days of the week. I pack one for lunch and the other for their snack. They are color coded, so they know, and I know, who's is who's. I love the variety of the lunches that I can send to school with the help of these containers.



My kids also love hot soup and other warm leftovers like mac and cheese and pasta in the fall and winter. I have tested a few different thermos containers and have settled on this brand and style. It suits our needs well. The food really does stay hot through lunchtime and beyond.




Our kids are also required to have a plastic water bottle that they can have in the classroom. I found these at Target and have used this same style and brand for three years now. We buy one bottle and it lasts the whole school year in general. Last year we went through a phase where the kids kept leaving their water bottles behind at different sporting events and such which caused the need to buy several sets. I hope that doesn't happen again this year! These bottles help me keep track of every one's water intake each day. Staying hydrated is so important for many reasons.

We pack cloth napkins as often as we can to also cut down on unnecessary trash. I get really cheap ones that are not fancy at Target. I also love the colorful ones at Pier One. They are way more fun!




I also picked up the basket stand at Pier One this year. I was running out of counter space and needed a place for all of our lunchboxes! We'll see how this one works out.

The last thing that I can't say enough about is Mabels Labels. I love those things! I label our clothes, water bottles, shoes, backpacks, lunchboxes, and you name it with these labels and surprisingly the label stays on throughout the school year! They even stay on through the laundry and dish washing too!

That's what works for my family in terms of school supplies for lunches at school. You know it works best when we share information with one another right?. What do you think is super fabulous in terms of lunch supplies for your family? Please share...

No comments: