Sunday, June 13, 2010

Green Growth Emerges




First thing yesterday morning we headed out to give our newly planted seeds some water knowing that it would be another hot day. Little boys and hoses...imagining that image should make you smile. I did.

We were surprised to see new growth emerging from the soil already. What a sweet way to begin our day.

Speaking of the garden and seeds. If you know us in real life we lovingly invite you to our home to plant a sunflower, a seed of hope, in Jeremy's garden. Stop by sometime when you are free, no formal invitation or gathering is planned. If you live far, far, away or only know us in the blog world, perhaps you could plant a seed of your own in your yard. We would be honored if you would spread hope and Jeremy's Sunshine for the world to see...

A dear friend and prayer warrior gave me a book by Candi-Pearson Shelton titled Desperate Hope-When Faith in God Overcame My Despair. (still can't figure out how to underline) I've just begun to read it, but so far, it has been amazing! This is what the author had to say about HOPE.

"There is more to an aftermath than a simple time of felt consequences left from the disaster that brings it about. Instead, it is more akin to a second growth from the season of pain, the harvest of our grief bringing about a second crop. The aftermath of hope is about wandering around in the rubble, finding the green mingled in with the char, picking up the pieces that aren't burned or completely shattered, and finding in the new growth a collection of new ideas, new vision, new character, and a new, more certain hope.

And whether from talent or compulsion of the soul, there is great value in recording the gentle whispers and hard-learned faith lessons that make up the aftermath, springing up like tender shoots of vivid green grass through the contrasting blackened dry soot. These are my blades of grass, the lessons in the aftermath, told with the heart of an explorer fresh from the adventure, brimming with the tales of terror and scars, of beauty and redemption.

The aftermath of hope. HOPE in all its glory."


I found this passage rather moving and have read it over and over again several times. I couldn't keep it to myself. It isn't just about grieving the loss of someone you love. Some of you reading this may also be finding life rather painful these days for other reasons and therefore are fighting to have HOPE in the midst of that circumstance. Perhaps the loss of the life you wanted, the loss of a job, the loss of a marriage or longing for a relationship, an illness, and many other troubling circumstances that we often face in this world. I hope the passage may encourage you if you are indeed needing to hold on to HOPE.


I pray that the tender green shoots growing in Jeremy's garden will serve as a visual reminder to me of the transformations occurring within my soul. I am still growing and evolving day after day. I can only HOPE to be a better person today than I was yesterday.

I pray that I recognize the new growth emerging from the recent passage of a difficult season for our family. Today marks the day of Jeremy's funeral two years ago. It is one of the last days on the near horizon that I can at least predict. I am almost nothing like the person I once was then. I barely recognize myself...I'd like to think that beside the pain and the yuck, there have been many positive changes within my soul too! Today I will do my best to focus on the good growth that came from this and also the growth that is perhaps yet to come, from our disaster. I will do my best NOT to dwell in the aftermath of destruction that has been left behind. I will continue to have faith in a God that works all things together for the greater good. I will have HOPE in my heart today, tomorrow, and in the days to come.
Wishing each and everyone of us many sunny moments today!

1 comment:

mamcf0371 said...

Dear Amy,
The Morse's have been on my mind a lot within the last few weeks, knowing the time of year that you are facing. I've been sending many prayers your way.

Hold onto HOPE, as I know you will. As you say in your blog, hope surely is one definate that can pull so many through times of despair. One must have patience when it comes to hope and the attitudes that support it. Hope is a willingness to let events unfold in their own time. One must also have courage and persistance to keep going no matter what happens. For you that has never waivered, at least from what I have seen. We have hope when we can say, all will be well, and we mean it.

Thinking of you,
Michele