Friday, October 3, 2008

Grow Old With Me




Eleven years ago today I walked down the aisle to marry my best friend and to embark on a new life together. I enjoyed planning all the details of the wedding but in the end I didn't care what happened or didn't happen. All that mattered was that he would be there to take my hand and say "I do". Everyone that mattered to us would be there to witness this sacrament that we were making to one another and to the Lord. We wrote our own vows and made promises to one another that night that have been the cornerstone of our world. Our marriage isn't and hasn't always been perfect, but show me one that is. What matters is that we have a commitment to one another and we honor that comittment in our daily lives.


Our wedding night was filled with such promise for a beautiful life together. The world was an open book. As time went by our marriage has been filled with many blessings. The sweetest of them all would obviously be our four beautiful children. We achieved everything that we ever wanted in life and that has to count for something. Our dream life was short lived but as the old saying goes, better to have loved and lost, than to have never had it at all. I thought we would share many things together, but never the death of a beloved child. I'm sorry that my husband has to endure this pain in his life. I wish I could heal that hurt in his eyes and in his soul. Having said that, I wouldn't trade that time with our son, Jeremy, for the world. He was part of our story. Our story will have a beautiful ending someday, even if we have to wait awhile to see how it unfolds. Jeremy had a real purpose in our lives and he will shape who we become as a family. When we come through this storm, we will be polished from being thrown around the rapids and rocks of life, and hopefully become better people because of it.



Today, eleven years later, I am thankful for my husband. I am thankful and grateful for our life together. I will hold on tighter, love him more, be more patient, give more, and appreciate the life we do have. Our path has a detour we didn't expect. I will hold his hand and find our way, together.


Grow old along with me
The best is yet to be
When our time has come
We will be as one
God bless our love
God bless our love.
Grow old along with me
Two branches of one tree
Face the setting sun
When the day is done
God bless our love
God bless our love.

Spending our lives together
Man and wife together
World without end
World without end
Grow old along with me
Whatever fate decrees
We will see it through
For our love is true
God bless our love
God bless our love.

This was the first song we danced to as husband and wife. The last verse has even more meaning today. Whatever fate decrees, we WILL see it through.


Happy Anniversary my dear Husband.






3 comments:

Dana said...

that was so beautiful!!!! Your words brought tears to my eyes!! I have followed your story since your Jeremy was admitted into the hospital. You are a very strong person and have such a positive attitude... Great things will happen for you again!!

heatherO said...

Happy Anniversary!! Love the photo (congrats on figuring htat out!) :)
Rusty & I celebrated 14 years on Wednesday...where do the years go??

Toin said...

Awe!!!