Friday, March 4, 2011

Sunshine Eyes

The third child and I were snuggling on the couch. He is sick again.



He looked up at me and very tenderly said "Mommy, I love your sunshine eyes."



I smiled accepting the compliment. After a few seconds I wondered where this comment had come from?



I asked him to tell me more about my sunshine eyes...


He responded " Well, you have red lines all around your eyes, just like the sun Mommy!"



I chuckled a little knowing these red lines were indeed the result of too many lost hours of sleep.



As I am drinking my third cup of coffee somehow hoping the caffeine totals will work together for my greater good today, I am thankful for my sunshine eyes. I am thankful to be a mommy and to have the ability to make someone feel better just by snuggling together on the couch. Not too long ago, I was in a very different place and was unable to love all over my child. I vividly remember the pain in my heart watching Jeremy in his hospital bed and being unable to hold him and comfort him in the ways that my heart longed to do.



Somewhere right now there are parents in this very place. Parents taking care of their children all the while knowing they are fighting something much more than a nasty cold. Parents not able to hold their child. Parents having to put their complete trust in others to take care of their child. Parents feeling helpless. Parents feeling afraid of the steps that lie ahead of them. Parents hurting knowing they cannot take this experience from their child.



There are far worse things than Sunshine eyes...I'll take them and be grateful for the many gifts in my life today. My perspective is so very different from where I stand. I am actually grateful for the fact that we have a cold, a nasty one, but thankfully to my knowledge, just a cold. I am grateful for the medicines that are so expensive but that are working to keep us out of the ER,
for the ability to run round the clock nebs on my own, for the patience of my pediatric practice as I need constant reassurance, and for good friends who are sending me love and sunshine along the way. Thanks R and A. The reassuring talks really helped and the Starbucks treats rock!

These sunshine eyes have seen far worse and will never forget the sights. Will you please pray for parents and their children who are facing so much more than a cold? Will you pray for healing, for peace in the midst of their trials, and for the medical staff involved in their care? Will you please pray that the days are filled with many moments where they feel God's presence with them and can see the Rays of Sunshine in and through the darkness of their trials that they are facing. Thank you. It means so much to me...and to them.

And while you are praying, could you add us to the list? Please pray for my little one to kick this cold out of town...TODAY!!! Please pray that the evil one cannot get a foothold on this sleep deprived Mama's heart, I am an easy target today. I am emotional, weary, and vulnerable.
Please pray that I can stay fixed on the sunshine, true gifts from our Father above, and to feel His presence alone in my heart. Thanks.

Amen

1 comment:

MIchelle3girls said...

Prayers went up for you today. Hope everyone is better by now!! It's so hard to watch our children suffer and feel helpless to "fix it". You are so good at keeping the right perspective. As I read your post, thoughts went to one of my very best friends who just got diagnosed with breast cancer (only in her 30's) and is having double masectomey tomorrow. She has four small children and she is so upset about having to go through this because she wants to be able to care for her children every day HERSELF. Her concern is not for herself, but for her kids. She can't fix this situation for them, or herself. She is anticipating the changes to their daily lives and how it will effect them. She is facing months of chemo and radiation, and reconstructive surgery. Please pray for her to accept help from others and rely on God to carry her through this fight.

Michelle