Monday, July 7, 2008

one month

It's been a month without our precious Jeremy. I wake up every day and I still need convincing that he really isn't here anymore. I go to bed each night fighting the horrible images in my mind, thinking of the "What If's", thinking about how to face the next day without my precious baby, and then finally crying myself to sleep. Then I wake up and do it again. I walk around most days feeling like I have been kicked in the stomach really hard and I can't breathe. To be honest, the last two weeks have been the most difficult. Reality is setting in hard!

I see him, I hear him, and I feel him everywhere I go and with everything that I do. I feel lost and I scurry around all day trying to stay busy and to keep the children happy and content. The only problem is that when it comes down to it, Jeremy isn't here nor will he ever be and that's why I can't feel content. There is a gaping whole in my heart and soul and there's nothing that will ever fill that void ever again. Scott and I try to put ourselves out there for the sake of the other children. We force ourselves to go to the pool, to celebrate the Fourth of July holiday by going to the parade, or to take part in family celebrations etc. However, living on without our Jeremy, hurts. Those emotional pauses happen all the time. The triggers seem to come when we least expect them or when we are already having a hard day. There are Real Estate signs posted all around the community with someone named Jeremy on them. There are also babies everywhere I turn. Especially painful is the sight of a baby the same age as Jeremy. I see them and it's like I just can't breathe.

We all visited the cemetary for the first time this week. My Aunt Diane was kind enought to go before us and place sunflowers and a sun balloon there. The children each placed a flag in the vase in honor of the holiday. The new grass was just beginning to grow and the temporary marker was placed at the top of the site. I've had to do a lot of really hard things these last few months and for some strange reason, I keep thinking it's going to get easier one of these days, but that hasn't happened yet. I sat there on the grass and I didn't want to leave. If I just sat there a little longer, if I was patient, he would still be here. I would find him again. But instead, I eventually did get up and walk away, without my baby.

This is raw pain folks!! I am not sugar coating this at all. I am ANGRY!!! I worked so hard from the very beginning to have this precious baby. I had to take medicine to stay pregnant, I threw up many times every single solitary day until about 23 weeks gestation, I went into pre-term labor around 31 weeks and was on bed rest. We had to have so much help and I sacrificed so much with Scott and the other children to keep Jeremy safe from an early delivery and the complications that could've happened. I did deliver at 36 weeks and from all we could see, we had a healthy baby boy! I experienced some complications from childbirth and had some minor surgery one week later. Then at just ten days old, we were rushed to Hopkins because we discovered that Jeremy had a duadenal web. He had emergency surgery and spent roughly two weeks in the hospital recovering. At the time, I thought this was the worst experience of my life. I was so thankful that Jeremy was born in this century. Babies born even fifty years ago died from this birth defect because they did not have the technology to find or treat the problem. You see EVERYTHING at Hopkins. Looking around, I was so thankful that my baby would get to go home and lead a happy and healthy life. Jeremy would be able to eat normal foods and live a normal life. Little did I know that we would be here, in a place that no parent wants to be in, just six short months later. Oh how I wish I could turn back the clocks and do so many things differently. So yes, I am angry that after all that hard work, I still do not have my baby to hold, to nurse, to rock to sleep. You see. . . some people search their whole lives to find true happiness. Some people have it and don't realize it or don't appreciate it. Well, we had it when our fourth and precious child was born. There was a contentment in my soul that I had never felt. Our family was complete! Jeremy was the cherry on the top of our delicious life! Our dreams have been shattered. Nothing will ever be the same again. I am left with the famous thought that it was far better to have had that happiness and contentment, than to have never had it at all.

I pray. . . and I pray. . . and I pray. . . . sometimes I do not know what to pray for. I pray for God's will for my life. I pray that he will make it visable to me what his journey is for me now. I pray that he will give me more strength daily to endure this earlthy life without my child.

I pray for my marriage. Losing a child is such a strain on a marriage. We grieve differently because we are different people. We hurt so badly that we don't have much left to offer each other or the ability to hold one another up. Lord, help us to hold on tighter than ever. Lord help us to keep the door sealed and closed to Satan and his ways.

I pray for my children. I pray that they have happy memories of Jeremy. I pray that they do not remember the ugliness that surrounds this experience. I pray that they do not end up in therapy as adults because of the damage that we do to them trying to cope with this tragedy. We know all to well that who they become in life is directly related to how we conduct ourselves and a result of the experiences that we offer them in this life.

I pray for our extended family. They are hurting too! They have lost a loved one. A grandchild, a nephew, a cousin. . . They hurt in another way as well. As hard as they try, they cannot take this pain from us. They cannot carry this load for us. They CAN walk beside us. They CAN and DO walk in the Rain with us. I pray for their hearts to be comforted by our Lord.

I walk in our neighborhood and I drive throughout my community and I STILL see the blue ribbons. I am STILL amazed by the mail that we receive on a daily basis. I am reminded that there are Prayer Warriors that have continued to lift us up in prayer. I pray that each and every one of you out there knows just how very much we appreciate your ongoing love, support, and prayers. Especially when we cannot ask for it or thank you with words. I pray that you feel our appreciation in your heart tonight.

I pray for the doctors, nurses, respiratory therapists, and other medical staff out there who treat sick and critically injured and/or sick children and their families. I especially pray for the PICU staff at Hopkins. They face the impossible and the most difficult cases every day. I pray that they are stengthened by the miracles and that they can release their sadness from the tragedies. They are an amazing team. I will be forever grateful and proud to have known them and to have seen them work miracles in the lives of sick children. I miss them. . . I also pray for their families. May they know others appreciate the work of their loved one and that their sacrifices of family time do not go unnoticed.

I pray for the millions of parents out there. I pray that they know the true gift and miracle of being a parent and that they use that gift wisely. May they see the magic in their child's eyes and NEVER take a single moment for granted.

Last but not least. . .

A fellow blogger writes this next prayer so beautifully and ever since I read it, I have prayed it for myself daily. "May the image of Heaven be so overhwhelmingly joyful that we can fully resign our hearts to the image of Jeremy being there." Lord, show us the glory of your dwelling place. Comfort us tonight knowing that we will see our Jeremy again.

Thanks for reading. Thanks for praying.

Amy

12 comments:

laura said...

Amy,
Thank you for opening yourself up by sharing such raw emotion. I am a neighbor whom you have never met but who has prayed and has garnered prayer support from those I know who love the Lord. I have never lost a child. I cannot pretend to understand. But I lost the father of the chilren that were never born to us--my soul mate--three years ago, to cancer. I was only 34, and I was so angry. It shook my faith to the core. I can tell you that God's goodness does, eventually, find a way of taking root in such a way that the raw, unceasingly tearful, stomach wrenching, hard-to-breathe pain does relinquish its steel grip. I know this does not help now. I know no words can begin to reach the raw places. I will keep lifting you up to God, who, because of His unfailing love, gives us the hope that does not disappoint. Sorrow does endure for the night. Joy does come in the morning.
With caring,
Laura

LookingforSunshine in Denver said...

Amy through tears I read your eliquent words yet again. Through your anger and sorrow your words are inspiring. I hate being so far away. Friends should be closer- I know that now. I find myself still looking daily for rays of Sunshine. I find myself thinking of you and Scott - of Jeremy, wishing I had met him sooner. I continue to pray for you that God will give you strength. For him to not be angry with me because I am angry not being able to understand. I continue to try and learn from your example. Know that we love you all very much and distance can not take that away. Wishing you a ray of sunshine.....
Love,
Veronica

Anonymous said...

Amy and Scott,

Writing is a wonderful way to face your innermost fears, sadnesses,truths and realities. I began a blog about 5 years ago as a way to cope with my mother's fight and loss to pancreatic cancer. As painful as those words are to reread and relive, even 5 years later, writing them provided me with a release that would help me get through my day. I pray that you continue this blog as therapy for yourselves, but also to let those of us who care about your family as a way to communicate how we can best reach out to and provide for your family.
You are right, healing takes more than time...but I think you are off to a healthy beginning. Please know that those blue ribbons are hung not only to honor Jeremy, but also to honor those whom survived him.

God Bless,
Karen Riesett

Anonymous said...

I'm really glad you've chosen to "blog" your raw feelings. Your faithfulness to God shows through and I know it will be a source of encouragement to others who are going through impossibly hard times in their lives. Too many times we leave it at, "I'm fine" and when someone else is in a similar situation they think, "What's wrong with me? I'm not fine!" Following your painful process of continuing to live without Jeremy will be an inspiration to more people than you'll ever know this side of heaven. Thank you. Thanks to your friends and family for trying to help you along the way. I'll keep praying. In Christ, with His compassion, Amy (Whitten)

Margo said...

Amy, Scott, and family... I am someone who happened upon your story from an online friend requesting prayers for a co-worker (Jeremy's grandma) back in April. I came to look forward to your messages when I was wondering how things were going. I sent praise for the blessings and prayers for trouble. Amy, you mentioned that you pray for strength and I have to tell you that the strength you've already shown has astounded me. You and Scott have been an inspiration to so many in such a difficult time in your lives. I appreciate you for sharing this journey and I look forward to following it. May those rays of sunshine fall down on you and your family from Jeremy's new home! Much love and prayers, Margo

DesireeHopf said...

Amy - It has been 19 months since I lost my son to a devestating genetic disease. He was 22 months. I read your blog and I encourage you to continue to work through your feelings. I wrote and continue to do so even still and it helps. I know your feelings, because I have felt all the same feelings, fears, and emotions myself. Thinking of you!

Desiree Hopf
connersway@yahoo.com
www.connersway.com

kightml said...

Amy,
Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts and feelings with the world. For those of us who followed Jeremy's story on Caring Bridge need to hear the remaining chapters. Although it is hard to hear of someone being so sad, your raw emotion is so couragous. Your strength is admirable and although I know I am only a neighbor to you and I know you from just simply walking in the neighborhood, your words and your feelings have given me courage as well. A day doesn't go by that I don't think of you and your family and hope that you are getting through the day. I pray for you that the "pauses" diminish and that the sun will shine brightly on your face and that faith will guide you.

With love,
Megan Kight

lar said...

dear amy,

having never met you, you are truly and inspiration to the way that i want to live my life. i know you must feel so weak, but you are strong. the way you continue to fight for the joy and protection of your children and your marriage shows that. from the beginning of your journey i have been amazed by your strength and your faith to just hang on. may god's spirit daily comfort and hold you and your family.

Unknown said...

Dear Amy, Scott and family,
You don't know me--I was sent the caringbridge link by a friend of a friend of a co-worker. But we've been praying for you and your family, and I just wanted you to know that we are still praying.
Rebekah

Kathy S. said...

Amy -
Thank you for continuing your story, because this next, horrible, seemingly hopeless phase is upon you. Thank you for sharing your private thoughts and anger. It is just not fair (I sound like the kids). You try to do everything right and work hard to make your family's life as perfect as possible and then it gets all messed up. I cry when I read your heart-wrenching entries, knowing that there is nothing anyone can do to take this pain away from you. We keep praying for you but it just doesn't seem like enough. I can't understand how you feel, and it scares me to even try to imagine the depth of your anger and pain. I love you. I know the strain on your marriage must be huge and I will pray hard that God gives you both the strength and patience to keep loving and supporting each other, weak as you feel. You are such an inspiration to me, and I know to countless others, and I am learning more about trusting in God's will, and remaining completely faithful through the many doubts, from you. For this I thank you. May God comfort you, strengthen you, and let you feel peace. - Kathy Schultheis

Tse Family said...

Amy, A friend introduced my family to your family's story several months ago. She and all of her friends here in Belgium have prayed and prayed and learned so much from your family and your precious baby's story. I don't know if you have already discovered this blog, but I find such similarities in the writing of this mom and yours.
http://audreycaroline.blogspot.com/
I have never read such God breathed words and I feel that as I was reading your updates, your words are also God breathed. Your faith and passion for accepting God's will is so inspiring and I am blessed to be part of your prayer circle.
May you feel the prayers lifting you up. May you feel God's arms wrapped around you all, your beautiful family. We continue to think of you and pray for you all every day.

Sara_McCoy said...

Amy,
Your openness and ability to express how you feel into words inspires us to write you. We have found after losing Sara on July 16, 2002 that keeping her memory alive is key to feeling whole. Grieving is an extremely difficult process and everyone does it differently. Your words remind us of those first couple of years and all the questions and "pauses". Keep in mind that all of those who have made contact with you during this difficult time have the best intentions in mind (only those who have lost a child truly knows how it feels or what to say). It is a very personal time for you and only time allows you to cope, but cherish Jeremy's memory to give you and your family strength.

This marks our first time blogging on this subject. We spent our first couple of years attending bereavement classes. We think there is solace in attending these classes.

We will be going to the cementary to visit Sara (born July 16, 2002) on Sunday. We will keep Jeremy in our prayers during this time. Brittani (4 years old when Sara passed) and Jacob (will be 4 years old on July 26th) also attend and say a little prayer.

Please feel free to call or email us if you need someone to talk to.

You and your family are always in our thoughts and prayers.

Take care,

Karen, John, Brittani, Jacob, and our Angel Sara (The McCoy Family from Holy Nativity - MOPS)