Saturday, July 19, 2008

Blue Bows and Prayer Bracelets

There are so many topics on which I could write about on a daily basis. Stay awhile, visit often, there's a lot more to come!



Today I feel led to write about the issue that many have courageously brought to our attention face to face or indirectly through others that are close to us. The tears are flowing folks and my heart yearns to empty a little of my soul.



What should we do with the blue bows? Should we take them down? Should we leave them up? What should we do with the bracelets? Should we wear them? Should we take them off? I'll admit, there is no easy answer. It's personal.

The blue bracelets remind me of the power of prayer. Draw close to God, listen to him whisper to your soul. When I listen closely he tells me "Amy, I know you hurt. I collect and count each and every tear you shed. I am here and I will not forsake you. Jeremy is safe in my arms. You will see your son again in eternal life. You were chosen to be the mother of this special child for the period of time that I loaned him to you. I called him home and "received him", I did not take him from you. Jeremy had a purpose, he fulfilled it. In him was life, real life! You prayed for a miracle, many miracles happened. Maybe they weren't the ones that you had hoped and dreamed of, but my will was done. Amy, you gave me your trust, now see it through. Trust in my will and my ways. "

Now also know that while I know these things to be true in the core of my soul, as a human and as a mother, I also struggle to cope with the death of my son. So I continue to pray. I ask God to give me his peace and strength every day. He tells me to bring him my heart. He asks me to give him my anger, my doubts, my fears, my hurts, my WHATEVER. For in him and only in him, will I find the peace I need to live on without Jeremy. My life and what it holds in my lifetime is the destiny that God has chosen for me. Bring the rain. . . whatever it is to bring him glory. I am his vessel and he is my captain. If I follow his course, I will reach the destination that he has chosen for me. I too will soar the heavens someday with Jeremy and this life will all make sense.

I'll never look at a blue bow the same again! Scott and wish many times that we had thought to ask permission to walk in the Fourth of July parade with our children behind a banner covered in blue bows that read "Thank you!" As I am driving or walking within our community, I often have the desire to stop and knock on doors or enter the places of business to personally meet the Prayer Warriors who have fervently prayed for my son and for our family. The strength to follow through on that thought has not come yet. Please know my heart feels that desire but many of these times I am barely holding it together and cannot muster the strength to stop. Be forwarned, at any time, a strange lady with her children, may be at your door ready for a big hug and to say "Thanks". There has been a bag of blue bows that I think has traveled to many of the events held to support our family and to honor Jeremy. They have become tattered and torn and some don't hold their bow shape too well anymore. I still have these bows in my garage in a bag. What they represent is far more important that the actual bows themselves. They represent a community of Christians that have reached out to a fellow neighbor to say " We're praying, we're here, we've got your back, WHATEVER you need." These bows represent the magnitude of compassion and the true meaning of giving back. We have all learned, without Oprah, that we can all do something to help someone else in need, in very big and small ways. It shows what can and could be done when a community of people are bound together for a higher cause. The blue bows represent a visual reminder that life can change in a blink of an eye. It can happen to anyone at any time. Every part of your being can be erased in a second, without warning, and cannot be changed or reversed. This realization, caused people to evaluate their lives and gave them the push to make changes where needed or desired. These bows represent people who have drawn close to the Lord or have made a decision to get to know him and desire to have a relationship with him. These bows represent a baby, my son, who changed the world. We may never even fully know the ways in which his life has impacted the world and the ways in which others will their lives differently because of Jeremy's influence on them. One thing is for sure, Jeremy's influence, his "Rays of Sunshine" to us, will somehow help us all in some way, big or small, bring glory to our God. Jeremy's gift to us will live on forever and regenerate as each of us use what we have learned from him to live a richer and fuller life here on earth.


So to get back and answer the questions that I shared earlier, please do whatever you feel led to do in your heart. When the time comes, it will hurt to begin a new chapter. I know in my heart, that even after the bows have been taken down, after the bracelets have been taken off, after this intial time has passed and people have "moved" on with their lives, Jeremy will live on. His legacy will be here for you and I to remember always, for it has been permanently etched in our hearts.

9 comments:

Kathi Roach said...

Amy,
I am a friend of Amy Weisgerber's. I've been following Jeremy's story for months. I just wanted to let you know that I am praying for you.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts, your hurts, your journey.

May God use your family and Jeremy mightily,
Kathi Roach

mamcf0371 said...

Dear Amy,
I've been catching up on your blog, and as always I feel it somewhat difficult to find just the right words to express to you what I'm feeling for you, and what I would like to say. It's amazing to me that even in your darkest days, moments and hours as the storm you are enduring rages on that you somehow find the way to so eloquently express yourself, even your rawest emotions, reaffirm your faith and love for God, keep putting one foot in front of the other, while comforting and supporting those whom you love and are surrounded by. I admire your courage, your faith and your will. To share your thoughts and feelings with so many and to find some "ray" of sunshine in all you do, I can only imagine is very difficult.

There is not a day that goes by without me thinking about Jeremy; thinking of and praying for you, Scott and your children. I often wonder what God has Jeremy doing. Someone recently made a comment about a pebble's ripples in water and it makes me think of Jeremy and how he touched and changed the lives of so many(more then you'll truly ever know). Jeremy was like a "pebble hitting the water;the ripples it makes move far and wide touching everything in it's path." That was Jeremy-he touched so many lives and changed so many for the better. He brought a community together in your time of need and his time of need. It's humbling to me to know that there are still so many people in this world who care about others; it's humbling, when I see the blue bows, that at the core of our community is love, compassion, and kindness. We still have our bows up, and are not ready to take them down, but I am glad that you addressed this, b/c we often wonder how they make you and Scott feel. Does it provide comfort when you see them? Or, does it hurt so much to see them, etc..? As far as my blue bracelet it's a permanant fixture on my vanity -it's one of the first things I see every morning, and something that I will always have.
I hope that you find this blog to be cathartic to you in so many ways, and that you will find "sunshine" again with God's help.
Michele McFarland

JanetSpitzler said...

Amy I just wanted you to know that I have been following Jeremy's story from almost the very beginning and have sat and cryed many tears, and prayed many prayers. I do have our blue ribbon up on our house and I plan on leaving it up we on Park Avenue in Halethorpe, and would welcome a knock on our door from you. I have been through 2 more deaths since Jeremy and they too were taken away long before their time. I will continue to keep you and your family in my prayers. Janet Spitzler

Karen Riesett said...

Your family has touched, blessed and enriched my heart and spirit. My faithfulness, thankfulness and greatfulness have multiplied. I have deepened my relationship with God, and been reminded me of the importance of recognizing small blessings. I don't think God's done with me yet...and I don't think He's done with you either...and if it's ok with you, I'll keep my bows up in support of your journey ahead. Just remember, you never walk alone :)

Tse Family said...

Your words are so beautiful and faithful. Jeremy's life has made such a difference in my own walk with God and I'm so thankful to you for continuing to share your words as God breathes them to you. What a beautiful picture you paint with your words. I can see Our Father holding you and your family in his embrace, taking account for each tear and holding you up when you just can't do it anymore. I am in awe of what God can do and thank you for allowing us to see Him at work.

Toin said...

Your word speaks directly into my heart and soul... Just wanted you to know...
Love always,
Rick

Sharon Jones said...

Good Morning Amy,

I'm so happy to finally chat with you. It has taken me awhile, but I'm finally ready to share my thoughts with you. When I met you first at the Boller's graduation party, I told you that it was an honor to meet you - and I meant it! I have learned so much from your words of wisdom and your dedicated faith. I share many of your thoughts with my own family reminding them to always have faith.

As for my bow...it hangs (weathered) on my flag pole and I honor it along with my american flag. I too am touched by the many who still display their bow. As for my bracelet, I continue to wear it proudly on my right wrist so when I shake someone's hand they will feel the power of prayer through Jeremy.

You have a wonderful family - I loved your mom and her sisters. And I saw the picture of your Father's SUNSHINE tatoo! If I were to get one - THAT would be my choice.

BTW: You and your children are welcome to stop by my house for a hug ANY TIME. Please let me know if I can do anything for you.

With Love, Friendship & Prayer,
Sharon
410-747-3145
jonessd1@comcast.net

Adele said...

Amy,
Still praying for you and your family everyday. Read your blog. Your writing is so inspirational; I know that it comes from great pain.

With you in prayer,
Adele Kootz

P.S. Tried to post before, I think I got it right this time.

Laura said...

Just wanted to let you know that your family is still in my prayers. I think of all of you often and am so glad that you have continued to share your feelings with us. Your amazing and I am sure Jeremy is looking down on you and smiling.