Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Bacon Cider Pork

Hot? I know, I know, it is summer after all. It was down right steamy here where we live today. My skin was sticky and when that happens, I am in no mood to cook anything in the oven for dinner.

Our monthly meal swap crept up under my feet again this month.
My assignment-pork.
My challenge was to find a recipe which would not require us to turn on our ovens.
My result- Bacon Cider Pork

Ingredients:
Trim, cut, and season one pork tenderloin (1- 1 1/2 lbs) - I used boneless pork chops since they were on sale and cut them in half.

Wrap each pork steak in a strip of bacon
olive oil to saute pork
1/4 cup shallots minced
1/2 cup of cider or apple juice
2 T unsalted cold butter sliced
salt and pepper to taste

Directions:
Trim tenderloin of fat and silverskin and cut into steaks about 1 1/2 inches thick. Season with salt and pepper.

Wrap each steak in a strip of bacon and secure with a toothpick. Heat oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Saute pork for 5 mins. per side or until browned. Tip the steaks on their edges to to brown the bacon, rolling them until they brown, about 3 minutes total. Cover and finish cooking to an internal temp. of 145 degrees., about 5 mins. Remove pork and keep warm. Pour all but about 1 T of the pan drippings.

Saute shallots for 2 mins in the same pan, stirring constantly. Deglaze pan with cider, scraping up the brown bits and simmer for two minutes. Then add butter, swirling until butter melts. Return pork to pan along with any accumulated juices and season sauce with salt and pepper.

Serves 4 (2 steaks per person)

The recipe suggests serving the pork with Marmalade Sweet Potatoes and a second side of spinach. I must say the picture looks very pretty with the variety of colors in the meal, which by the way, means lots of good healthy vitamins!

Cut 2-3 Sweet Potatoes into strips like steak fries.
Toss in 1/2 cup of Orange Marmalade that has been melted
salt to taste

Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
Wrap inside of baking sheet with foil and coat with non-stick spray.

Cut potatoes into wedges and toss with marmalade. Season with salt. Arrange on a single layer on a baking sheet and roast for 35 minutes or until fork tender. Turn once.

I plan to use my toaster oven to make the Sweet Potatoes.

Would you please share any family friendly recipes you have for hot weather?
Thanks.

1 comment:

Sandy said...

Amy,
I made the sweet potatoes in my toaster oven (great idea:) and they were YUMMY! Served with grilled pork tenderloin, and they were a perfect combination. I may try the bacon cider pork (vs. grilling) when I'm feeling more energetic because it sounds yummy as well. Thanks for the recipes!