Monday, July 19, 2010

Super Saturdays

interrupted sleep

overslept and missed the Swim Team photos AND warm ups

upset child having missed said photo

I forgave myself almost immediately... which almost never happens

I finally made it to the meet only to discover we forgot a few items...AHHH

small child at home begins throwing up

Plan B for the day begins to unfold...


RETAKE

deep breaths

I GET to have an interrupted night's sleep because there are three living children in our house.


I can't remember the last time I overslept and was late for something. I may be late for events or arrive at the eleventh hour, but thankfully being this late is not a regular pattern for our family. We missed the photo and warm ups and not any of the swimming events. There really are worse things in life...


Sure, the photo would have been nice but the memories made from the swim team this summer will linger forever in our hearts. I've taken a few pictures of my own throughout the meets this season as evidence that we really swam this year. Besides, we can still order the photo and remember our other swim team friends and coaches.


Maybe we lost the meet and didn't improve our times but my daughter did GET to swim AND we had fun today! There are many children who would give anything to swim. They wouldn't take for granted the simple blessing of just being healthy enough to swim and to be able to get to the other side of the pool. Neither would their parents. As far as I am concerned, we did WIN in all the ways that really matter.


Little one throwing up is most likely an irritating little bug in our house. I am sorry that he is sick but I have also painfully learned perspective. I think I managed to balance my natural tendency to worry and to have the big picture. Again, many would gladly take this bug over some of the other mountains they are facing. Insert prayers here for Mandi, Matthew, and James.

I was also thankful and grateful to have a husband to balance the scale of need. One person cannot be in two places at once. Insert special prayers for Julie and others facing a new life of single parenthood.


I love swim meets. I love seeing the community pull together for the good of our kids and have fun swimming. There's no doubt that a lot of hard work and time gets put into making the day happen. My belief is to find some way, big or small, to be a part of the action. Trust me, the experience that you leave with will be far richer for we are stronger when we all work together...

My volunteer position allowed me to meet a mom who had previously been a friendly face at the pool for a few years. I enjoyed meeting her officially and learned we shared some things in common. While doing our job, we also learned our families are both facing the challenge of grieving the loss of an immediate family member. Our situations were different but the pain was understood. Insert evidence of my own growth. There have times in the past that I would have avoided any and all conversation with a new person. There have been times that I have been a mess worried about having to answer the "How many kids do you have?" question...I answered today with a strong heart. I was even strong enough to revisit periods of my own early days of grief and flip back to the present time of today without crying. (Tomorrow could very well be a different story and that would be okay too.)


Due to our late arrival, we needed to look harder for some shade from the hot sun. A blessing in disguise unfolded and we discovered we liked our new spot. In fact, we didn't know what we were missing. The temperature was much cooler and there was a delightful breeze in our new location. Thanks to the W family for your help in locating our shady spot for the day!


I enjoyed visiting with friends at the pool and watching the smiles abounding in slow motion it seemed...


Still more grateful heart moments...


I have become in contact with a few people to help me get our foundation off the ground and running. I can hardly contain my excitement and yet I am nervous too. I want so badly for this new venture to be successful and for it to be done well. I fear my emotions will be a weakness.


I was also approached by a young man who sold homemade donuts (YUM!) and who wanted to donate his proceeds to charity. His choice? Yep, you guessed it. He wanted his proceeds to help spread "Rays of Sunshine" to critically ill children and their families. Honestly folks, it really doesn't get any sweeter and more pure than to witness the heart of a child ministering to the hearts of others in need. Thank you N! Please thank your other team members and your parents too for helping us to make a such a difference in the lives of children in need of your help! Your efforts will shine hope on other kids who need it most!



Swimmer girl ended up having a great day and so did the boys at home. Grandparents blessed us by lending their support too. Swimmer girl tried a new stroke and did very well. I am so proud.

So for a day that sure started off very cloudy, the sun sure did SHINE!!

What a difference it makes looking for sunshine rather than focusing on the clouds. Jeremy, all these many months later, we still remember one of the lessons that you taught us so well, to always hang on to the sunshine. It's there, you might have to look harder for it some days than others but if you look, you will find it.

Wishing you a sunny and Grateful Heart day!

**Had high hopes to post on Saturday but didn't quite make the cut.

1 comment:

mamcf0371 said...

Amy,
It's easy for any of us to let the stress of "things gone wrong" to lead us down a negative path. It's not so easy to recognizing what you have to be thankful for during those moments. I truly enjoyed reading your blog post today, and I am happy for you that you were able to hault the negativity and see the good and thankful things that took place that day!
Overall, your reflection on the day must have been very uplifting for you.

I am so HAPPY for you and the progress that you are making with the Rays of Sunshine Foundation to get it up and running. Rest assured Amy, God will see you through this and you it will be nothing but successful. There are so many minds, hearts and hands who will help you through this mission of yours.

Thanks for sharing the story of the young boy and the donuts. It is very heart warming. It is lovely to know that there are many, many young people with compassionate hearts and minds; reaching out to others in needs. I believe it should be the foundation of every child's soul.

Praying for those who need it.

Go SUNSHINE!

Michele