Friday, August 19, 2011

Yard Sale

It all started with a night out to our local favorite ice cream stand. That night a Summer List was created. That night it seemed as if we had endless nights of summer ahead, only now, they are all too soon slipping away. A Yard Sale and a Lemonade Stand were added to our list.

In June we read a really great family read aloud, The Lemonade War by Jacqueline Davies I think. Great book. All the while we enjoyed each and every page, the desire to have a lemonade stand grew even stronger.

We have a foundation set up in Jeremy's memory and so the children have been a very active part of that since it's origination. They all agreed to sell their toys and belongings of no longer use to them, to benefit the rays of Sunshine Foundation.
Can this be any sweeter?

The excitement is brewing as tomorrow is the big day! Wish us luck! I know no matter the outcome that a memory will be made in the hearts of three very special children. Grandparents have also stepped up to assist in their experience of the day and to encourage them along the way.

Tonight we were setting up and pricing things and then all of the sudden time stood still. I became lost in the memories of these treasured toys and the good memories attached to them. We send them on to the next owner with much love but I can't help the sad feelings that have invaded my soul unexpectedly. There are even funny visions of Toy Story running through my mind with our favorite toys panicking that they are being sold in a Yard Sale. Truth be told, we just don't have room for all this stuff and the new stuff that creeps in too! I worry that we will sell something that I may regret later on in life. I am just not super attached to things of this world anymore, the memory, yes, the stuff, no. I just hope I don't regret the purge. I do save a few extra special things and I hope that is sufficient as they all grow.

I am stunned that I have become so emotional about this tonight. Can anyone relate?
It seems as though we are moving and sifting out of the little kid stage so fast and I just wasn't ready nor I am feeling all that prepared for what's ahead. In fact the whole next step seems a little scary.


No comments: