Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Goodwill Toward Men

I am humbled by the outpouring of folks that continue to surprise me with their offers of generosity and compassion toward the hospital and respite house in Jeremy's memory. I can't tell you how much it means to know that he is remembered and how his legacy lives on throughout the seasons of the year. Most importantly, I know how much this items will comfort children and families facing a difficult time right now in their lives.

As you know, the Christmas holiday season is approaching and quickly I might add. There is so much need all around us in the world today. The economy has changed, folks have lost their jobs, and there is despair in the eyes of so many. I know I do not NEED a single tangible thing. I am feeling so very blessed to be able to say that and yet I am hurt deep within knowing that it isn't true for everyone in the world. Life can change in the blink of an eye.

I am writing to encourage you, if you are able, to help someone else in need this Christmas season. In fact, while reading through the monthly newsletter of the respite house where we stayed during Jeremy's illness, I stumbled upon this quote. It just about sums up my mantra over the last year. "We must not, in trying to think about how we can make a big difference, ignore the small daily differences we can make which, over time, add up to big differences that we often cannot foresee." - Marian Wright Edelman

We are taking items to the hospital and to the respite house this holiday season. We welcome the participation from other Prayer Warriors. Please forgive me for the lack of notice. I will continue to support these places for all the days of my life. Also note, that our help and support isn't seasonal, support is needed 365 days a year. I will try to do better next year at allowing more time and notice so that others can participate if they desire.

There is a need for:

infant toys
toys/items for teens
blankets
non spill bubbles
CD players
Uno games
wubb a nubs
hair detangler and other hair accessories such as barrettes and pony tail holders
nail polish (small bottles)


For the Respite house:

Queen size white sheets
laundry detergent, softener, etc
non-perishable food and especially snacks
Keurig coffee pods
toiletry items for parents shampoo, conditioner, razors, deodorant, etc.
gift cards to Safeway
disposable cameras
white washcloths, white bath towels
Swifter floor cleaning supplies

Again, these items are for use 365 days a year. The spirit of Christmas can carry over into every month of the new year.

Thank you again, to those who have already donated and to those who may inspired to do so in the future. It means more than you will ever fully know.

With a Grateful Heart,

No comments: