Sunday, December 13, 2009

One Little Coupon

**Update**

I truly meant to share the recipe for the Turkey Cranberry Meatloaf mentioned in my story.

Ingredients:
1 egg
1/2 cup of chicken or turkey flavored stuffing mix
3/4 cup of whole cranberry sauce divided
1/4 t salt
1/8 t pepper
1 lb of ground turkey

Directions:
Mix egg, stuffing, and 1/4 cup of the cranberry sauce. Add salt, pepper, and turkey. Mix well. Bake meatloaf uncovered at 350 for 55-65 minutes. Heat remaining cranberry sauce in the microwave and then pour it over the meatloaf during the last 15 minutes of cooking time.

Freezes well.


Original Post-
I have been participating in a meal swap for a few months. Each member of our group prepares six of the same entree and then we all get together once a month to swap the meals. I make six of the same meal and leave with five additional meals that make my life incredibly easier on weeknights at 5 pm.

The crowds and the long lines at virtually every shopping center known to man, left me with the alternative choice of grocery shopping on Saturday. Everyone was in a hurry and there were visible signs of impatience and Grinchy attitudes to be found at every stop along the way. I realized that it wasn't in my best interests to waste so much time and get so little done, so plan B was put into action. Despite the crowds, even in the grocery store, I decided that I needed to purchase the ingredients for my meal this month, Turkey Cranberry Meatloaf. I wanted to make something a little festive for the Christmas season.

Each time I have gone to the store to purchase ingredients for the swap meal, I find myself on the receiving end of many stares and comments regarding the contents of my cart. People will often ask me if they have missed a sale, especially on the meat. I usually entertain their thoughts with a brief explanation. Seriously, imagine a cart filled with six whole chickens, etc.

This Saturday was no different, except I ALSO filled the cart with items that I personally needed for my own family. I should have taken a photo of my cart. I literally could not fit another item in the cart if I tried. Ha!

When it was time to check out, there were long lines of course. I managed to walk all the way to the end of the aisles in hopes of finding a shorter line and I did. I informed the cashier that I would be receiving the "Abnoxious Cart Award" today. He laughed and said, it was the bagger that he felt sorry for.

Shortly there after, a woman got into line behind me. The last comment of the day."That's some order you've got there!" I think was how it all started. I explained the meal swap thing, told her about my recipe, and also how I hadn't been to the store for awhile beyond the short order stuff, so my pantry was really bare of the staples. She seemed to like the sound of the recipe and the wait in line, while the cashier rang up my groceries, was passing by with a friendly conversation.

"Do you have any coupons?"
I replied, "NO, I forgot them today. I didn't plan on shopping today. Oh, well"

"Do you have one of those percentage off your whole order coupons? That's the coupon you really need with an order of that size." Once again, I replied, "No, I don't have any coupons today. I tried to buy what was on sale and I have my bonus card, so that will have to be sufficient."

"Here, take mine! It's just me and my husband and our daughter, the most I would ever save would be a few bucks. I bet you will really save a lot!"

"No, I can't accept that coupon, you use it for your own family."

She smiled and said, "No, I insist. I will get so much joy just seeing how much you save with the help of this coupon."

I did accept the coupon from the woman and my heart was filled with joy. I knew I would indeed save a significant amount with the use of that coupon, but it was more than that. I was on the receiving end of a generous and complete random act of kindness. Holiday cheer. We both smiled watching the coupon being scanned and saw that I had saved almost $25. I again offered her some money to compensate her for the coupon, and she declined that offer too.

Humbled by her kindness, I said, "Here, at the least, take my recipe and try the meatloaf for yourself. I hope you like it. I've heard it is pretty good, and I think I'll probably make it again. You know, I will think of you and your kindness every time I make this meatloaf."

"And I'll think of you too!" she said.

It's amazing how one little coupon made such an impact on my heart . It was the random act of kindness that impacted me more than saving money.

A stranger blessed me today with her generous spirit. I will pay it forward and use that savings to help others in need.

Have you witnessed the true spirit of Christmas this year? PLEASE share. We could all use the heart warming inspiration.

With a Grateful Heart,

2 comments:

Erin said...

That is so sweet. I love hearing stories like this. Reminds us to try to be the 'coupon giver' more often. Hugs to you, Amy.

mamcf0371 said...

Dear Amy,

This is a very heartwarming story. Thank you for sharing with all. Looking forward to trying the meatloaf recipe too!

Peace to you this Christmas Season,
Michele