Sunday, January 10, 2010

Girl Time and the Ant Head Chicken

The boys were all headed out to get hair cuts. That left us girls to spend some quality time together doing one of my daughter's favorite things, cooking!

We tried a new recipe, Poppy Seed Chicken. Apparently, it has been a huge hit in many homes in America, even though we had never heard of it. I can see why it was such a hit with so many people. My husband and I loved every bite. Being honest, I will say the kids needed more time to develop a taste for this one. My kids were a little put off by the look and texture of so many Poppy Seeds in the chicken. They even said, "Are those ant heads?" The old saying, "Mind over Matter", applies to this situation for sure.

I lightened up the recipe since we so close out from the holidays. I consumed way too many cookies and other treats for sure and need to cut back on so many calories.
I think the lightened version was delicious, so I cannot imagine what the other full version would taste like.

I will definitely make it again sometime soon.

Poppy Seed Chicken (aka- Ant Head Chicken)Poppy seed chicken

2 or 3 chicken breasts, boiled and cut in small pieces
1 16 oz sour cream
2 cans cream of chicken
2 tbs of poppyseeds (I don't measure - I just shake a ton in)
Ritz crackers
1 stick of butter

Mix the first 4 ingredients and put in a baking dish. Cover with crushed up ritz crackers. Melt a stick of butter and pour on top. Bake for 20-30 minutes at 350.


***I used fat free soup, light sour cream, whole wheat crackers, and 1/2 stick of butter. As I said, I thought it was delicious and still very rich!

Hope you enjoy this recipe too!

No comments: