Saturday, January 16, 2010

I'm Letting Go...

I posted earlier this month about my "word" for this year. I chose two words exactly, "Let Go". These words will hopefully be a theme that shapes some healing in 2010.

I was in a bookstore recently and happened upon a book by the author, Carol Kent, author of Now I Lay My Isaac Down, a book that truly changed my life. I didn't know that there had been a second follow up book written. I decided to resist the purchase, but later decided to go ahead and get the book knowing how much I had enjoyed the first book. I also knew from reading the title and a few excerpts in the store, that it would go along with my words "let go". The title of the book is A New Kind of Normal.

I guess I am finally taking the steps toward letting go of the life that I once knew. I am letting go of a life when I was the mother of four living children here on earth. I am still the mother of four children and I always will be. I suppose I am trying to better embrace the "new normal", I am the mother of three living children and one in heaven. Some may say, it is not a new normal since I have had this reality in my life for nineteen months. It is however a new normal for me because for the first time, I am realizing that I am ready to start accepting this reality and to move forward. I am moving forward with intense pain but thus moving forward. I cannot stay in the sixth month period of November 2007- June 2008 forever. Time really does move on and I suppose I should continue on this ride and see what life still has to offer. Better yet, I am opening my heart, learning to trust God more, and thus ready to see what He calls me to do, and how He will use my suffering to make something beautiful, as only He can.

So far, I must say that I am enjoying it as much as the first book. I have heavily highlighted and folded the corners of many pages. I was right and it is addressing many of those goals that I initially shared about letting go... I highly recommend it to anyone who is facing a life altering event in their lives.

The book dedication reads:

"To people who are living in their own "New Kind of Normal"
They have acknowledged that unexpected circumstances mean life will never be the same as it once was. Instead of running away or withdrawing to a prison of their own making, they choose to embrace the new opportunities and unexpected joys that can only be known by those who say:

I will survive.
I will persevere.
I will be vulnerable.
I will forgive.
I will trust.
I will hold those I love with open hands.
I will be thankful.
I will choose purposeful actions.

I salute you."

I wanted to say that this is not a book about grief. It is a book about life changing unexpectedly due to a variety of reasons. Carol Kent herself says that this book is about "choices-not the kind we place on goal charts, but the choices we all need to make when our carefully developed life plan takes a U-turn or comes to a sudden halt. It's about discovering fresh hope and renewed courage when we would rather give up. It's about willfully choosing to make the future better, even if we don't receive a tangible benefit for making the effort. It's about choosing not to waste the sorrow. It's about giving hope to others in the middle of our brokenness and tears, because it is all we have to offer. And because it is all we have to give, it is enough."

I wish I didn't need to quote so much text from the book to make my point. I can share my stories along the way of my journey, but I certainly do not possess writing skills like Carol Kent. I think that this book could really help others facing a difficult journey in life.

I'll share more about my experiences in life with choosing to LET GO as they happen.

1 comment:

Julie said...

A book I may need to get for myself! Thanks for sharing. I find that in facing this "new normal" of going through a divorce, being a single mother, and just simply being single, there are so many things that I am having a hard time letting go of. I cling to the life I once knew and long to have that "semi charmed" life back. I vividly remember the days when I would pull up to my little house after a long day of work, sigh with contentment, and smile at the thought of walking inside to my husband and children welcoming me warmly. I am still greeted warmly by my children, of course, but our lives are full of changes. There is nothing that can replace the "normalcy" of having both mommy and daddy put you to bed at night, having someone to keep you warm on cold nights, and feeling like your life is complete. However, I also realize that I sometimes romanticize what used to be. Do you ever do that? I look back on my life the way it was and wish to have it back....but do I really want all that pain back? Do I want the pain of a struggling marriage? Do I want the feeling of being verbally abused again? Do I want to go back to having arguments in front of the children to have them act out as a result? No, I really don't want any of that back!! So, why can't I let go? Why do I hold on so tightly to where I used to be and "pout" in a way for my loss? I think it's our well known enemy Satan, hard at work. Whispering non-truths into our ears. Deceiving us with his words. Making us feel sorry for ourselves so that we will miss out on the current joys and blessings God is providing for us. Well, together we can guide each other back to the place of pure joy and hope. The only place where we can experience true happiness and fulfillment. To the foot of the cross. It's where I struggle to be so many times, during this transition in my life, but it's where I NEED to be the most!

Thank you again, sweet Amy, for leading me back to the One who cares for me. Your blog always brings me light and sunshine as I seek out the answers in life. If you get a chance, listen to a new song I have placed on my playlist called "I loved you then" by 33 Miles. I stumbled upon it one day and was captivated by how timeless God's love is for us. He loved us then, He loves us now, He will love us tomorrow. The ONE thing that will never change when our circumstances and "normal" constantly change. What a comforting thought!

Much love in Christ,
Julie