Thursday, January 7, 2010

One Single Word

Happy New Year! Thanks for reading and following along with my journey. Thank you for your support and prayers along each step of the way.

Giving proper credit to Ali Edwards...I began reading about the One Single Word phenomenon happening on several blogs that I read. I really liked the idea of welcoming a New Year and embracing "one single word" as a theme for the year, a way to focus on becoming a better person in 2010. After reading lots of information, I decided that it would be something that I would like to try. You can check it out for yourself here:

http://aliedwards.typepad.com/_a_/2009/12/one-little-word-2010

I read through the posts and knew right away that if I had known about this activity last year, the word I would have chosen would have been "sunshine". This word would define my journey in so many ways. One important facet of the word sunshine certainly was the fact that in the face of such tragedy in my life, I HAD to focus on the "good" that remained in my life. I can share that as I reflected on 2009, I did not feel happy enough to dance around and do cartwheels of joy every day. However,choosing to embrace the good in each day, did without a doubt, help to keep my head in the right place and focused on the important things in my life. No matter how ugly, dark, and sad the days were, I could ALWAYS find the sunshine. Sometimes it was shining bright and other times it was working hard to shine through the clouds, but it was always there. The sunshine was a huge component of how I got through last year and how I became the very person that I am today. I truly believe that all experiences and events in our lives, the good ones and the bad ones, shape us all into the very people that we are in present time. It is surely not the experiences themselves that define us, but rather the lessons and knowledge that are taken away from each experience, and the ways that we choose to allow them to shape us into the people we become. I recently stumbled onto this quote:

"The important thing is this: to be able at any moment to sacrifice what we are for what we could become." ~Charles DuBois

Life is a journey. I hope to continue on in life each day becoming a better person than I was yesterday. It is a little scary not knowing where I am heading, but also exciting thinking about the person I am yet to become.

The word sunshine will continue it's work into 2010 and probably for as long as I live. It is too special to me and central to this new person that I have become. So as I carry the sunshine in my heart, I will also choose a new theme this year to add to my journey. The new word for 2010 also came to mind very easily. My word, or should I say words, for 2010 are :

LET GO

I will spend time this year trying to embrace this theme in my soul. It will not be an easy task, but one that is desperately needed at this time in my life. I am choosing this year to LET GO...

of the PAST...sins, regrets, mistakes, and bad memories. I will choose to take what lessons were learned and let the guilt, shame, and the rest of it go.

of the GOOD memories in the way of preventing me from embracing the here and now. My life with Jeremy as a living, breathing, child is gone from this life. I need to work harder to accept that reality so that I can move on and FULLY accept my new life. Letting go of the cherished family that I once knew, the family that I had the honor and privilege to have, even if for a short while. I still have a blessed family, it's just different now. Still blessed for sure.

of CONTROL. This is a big one for me. I am choosing to work on accepting what I can change and what I cannot. I will be spending time with the Serenity Prayer this year.

of EXPECTATIONS. Another BIG one for me...

of ANGER.

of HURT. At some point, these things that have tried so hard to unravel me at the core, will just wash right past me, and be fleeting thoughts. It will be so peaceful and I will no longer remember this time of hurt in my life.

of MY PLANS FOR MY LIFE. I will choose to accept God's plan and purpose for my life. He clearly is calling me to do things far out of my comfort zone. I will choose to work harder on trusting that plan for my life. This also means LETTING GO of my SHOES. Those that have been following long enough know what I mean.

of the OLD me and EMBRACE the new me and all that comes with that journey!

There's more from within but enough shared for now...and more to come as the year unfolds with each passing day. Stay tuned as I share stories and reflections with a life journey of Letting GO! Wish me well.

I now challenge you, what's your word for 2010? I'd love to hear your story and be in prayer for your journey with your word toward a better you in 2010!

3 comments:

Erin said...

Happy New Year! Lots of hugs to you.

Rick said...

Thinking 'bout you... It's too late to call, but just know, you have been in my thoughts quite often lately...

mamcf0371 said...

Amy,

I love this philosphy of "one word." I'm going to challenge myself to this "one word" this year. I've thought long and hard about the word that I would like to use to get to my goals for where I want to be as a person. There are so many things that I want to do, but have come up with lots of excuses for many years. Now's the time, by initiating this one word, I believe it will help me keep in sight what I want to strive for and reach for. It will keep me grounded and focused. Thanks for sharing such an inspirational philosphy. I hope many others embrace this too.

I will pray for you that you will be able to "Let Go" of all the things you want to and can move forward with God's guidance and will, embracing all the good, love and blessed things in your life.

I like the following quote-may you find it comforting as you "let go." "Take the first step in faith. You don't have to see the whole staircase, just take the first step." (Martin Luther King, Jr.)

As always, you are in my continuous prayers,

Michele M