Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Jeremy's Light Is Shining

This is a new Pound Puppy. Someone very special gave Jeremy one of these while he was in the hospital and it never left his side other than to be cleaned. He had other animals that would stand in his place but they just weren't the same. Jeremy loved to hold onto the dog's ears and it comforted him a great deal. Maybe, just maybe, another baby in the PICU would love to have one too. Jeremy had a special bond with the person who gave him this little dog. Sending our love to you tonight. . .always.

I am way too tired and I just can't seem to get these next two shots to rotate in the correct direction. Anyway, the first shows some of the items for the Children's House.
This photo shows a closeup of the sunshine toys we found. You know me and sunshines! The ring toy in the background was also one of Jeremy's favorite toys.


I wanted to share some of the ways that we have been share Jeremy's sunshine with the children and their families at the PICU and at the Children's House . Let me tell you, helping others in need has powerful healing effects on the grieving heart. We could never do this alone. God has walked closely by our side, guiding us, holding us up, and even carrying us when needed. It is also because of our prayer warriors. Without their generosity and compassion, we would be unable to deliver this much sunshine at once. Our gratitude is unending! We smile and feel Jeremy's love shining down on us all. We thank you from the bottom of our hearts. We thank those of you who have been on this journey from the beginning of the road and we thank those who have recently learned about us and have jumped aboard to help.

We could not believe the love, support, and compassion that we felt surrounding us while Jeremy was hospitalized. It made a tremendous difference in our ability to cope with the circumstances we faced, circumstances that are every parent's worst nightmare. We were very fortunate and blessed to feel that love just when we needed it most. While we would never wish this painful journey on anyone, everyone should experience this kind of love in their lifetime. Believe me when I say that this is the way God intended it to be in the world. This is the way God loves each and every one of us, unconditionally. Well now it is our turn to give back, to love someone else like Jesus, to help those amazing programs continue to exist and do what whatever we can to help other children and families who need to feel loved and cared for during their times of struggle. We will use all the strength we have to let our light shine for the world to see and to warm the hearts of those that are hurting and suffering through some of the more difficult or darkest hours of their lifetime.

We are currently working on setting up a non-profit foundation to officially allow us to continue our work supporting the PICU and the Children's House. There is much to do to help others in the world but these two organizations are near and dear to our hearts, and always will be. We will let you all know when that work has been completed. Our heartfelt thanks goes out to our attorney and to our accountant for all of their hard work, we so appreciate your help!

We have prayed many times for the Lord to guide us in the direction that he wants us to follow. I hope and pray I have heard his message to me and that our actions are bringing glory to his name.

We are so excited and proud to begin a Tissue Fund at the hospital. I am determined to provide soft tissues for the parents and families of children in the PICU. I myself cried many tears and always appreciated soft, good quality tissues. I am so happy to be able to do my part to ensure that other Mommies and Daddies have them too. As I mentioned in an earlier post, Trader Joe's donated a case of pocket tissues to this cause. I also received several packs of Kleenex and Puffs to Go from our many Prayer Warriors. Who knew that tissues could make people cry? I came home the other day and my dear Mother In Law delivered several hundred additional packs and the FED Ex man delivered another yet another case on my porch compliments of dear friends and Prayer Warriors. I am humbled each and every time. Thank you. . . I'll keep you posted on how this goes. If anyone else wishes to participate in this program, we will gladly accept pocket sized tissues and/or monetary donations to purchase the tissues.

Over the holidays many of our Prayer Warriors helped us by shopping from the wish lists from the PICU Child Life Department and the Children's House. We have four children and for there to be gifts for all four of our children at Christmas was heartwarming. All grieving parents want their child to be remembered and never forgotten. It really doesn't take much to make me cry anymore. I cried tears of joy as we delivered these much needed items. I know what they will mean to each person that will receive these gifts.

In the early part of December, you may recall that a Blood Drive and Bake Sale was held to celebrate Jeremy's first birthday. Well we raised a little over $900 dollars. We prayed about how to use that money to benefit critically ill children and their families in the PICU. As you may know, music has played a rather large and important role in this journey. I'll talk more in detail about this later in a later post. For now, as a start, we purchased six portable CD players and 27 new CDs for the babies and children to listen to in the unit. We proudly placed a sunshine sticker on every last one to honor our precious Jeremy.

Here's a breakdown. . .only to share with you the amazing abundance of God's grace and blessings upon us. I also want you to see how the money that was raised at the bake sale was spent. There are still funds that will be used for other things that I'll explain later.

PICU:
3 bouncy seats
mobile
18 infant/toddler type toys
Webkins
Stuffed Animals
Wubanubs
several sets of Disposable sippy cups
27 new CDs
38 DVD's
Scene It Games Disney Cartoons and Disney Channel Shows
6 portable CD players
toiletry bags for parents to freshen up
tissues :)

Children's House:
hand mixer
blender
various easy to prepare meals and snacks
office supplies
board games
gladware/ziplocs
phone cards
disposable cameras
foil
bath towels
kitchen towels
pot holders/oven mitts
dish cloths

IS THIS AMAZING OR WHAT?????? I am crying as I type this for I am filled with such gratitude.

While I am honored to be able to do this for the families who are walking difficult journey's, I'll admit that it still hurts. I would like to believe that I would have still been this person giving back even if Jeremy's life here on earth was saved and he were here snuggled up in my arms. I don't think I would ever put him down. I thankfully have eternity to hold him. . . someone help my heart remember that today, here and now. . . I still wish none of this happened. I close my eyes and the images of the hospital are so vivid and clear. It's almost as if it happened yesterday.
Jeremy is one of many patients that have been cared for in the PICU. We think the world of those folks and have even adopted them as our PICU family. If any of you are reading this, catch the big hug coming right at you. We miss you and plan to visit soon.

With a Most Grateful Heart,
Amy

No comments: