Friday, November 19, 2010

Grateful Tree 2010



Thou hast given so much to me,
Give one thing more, - a grateful heart;
Not thankful when it pleaseth me,
As if Thy blessings had spare days,
But such a heart whose pulse may be Thy praise.
~George Herbert

I'm pretty sure that Target sells this purposed as a jewelry tree. In our house it serves as our Grateful Tree. Each night and sometimes more often we share the things we are thankful for each day. I record them on the itty bitty leaves and display them on the tree. It has become the focal point of our kitchen table. It is true, we each have much to be thankful for and I have enjoyed nurturing my children to grow more grateful hearts.Gratefulness is a trait that one should strive for each day but it is most commonly associated with this particular time of year.

Not what we say about our blessings, but how we use them, is the true measure of our thanksgiving. ~W.T. Purkiser

As we express our gratitude, we must never forget that the highest appreciation is not to utter words, but to live by them. ~John Fitzgerald Kennedy

I plan to add the leaves to a scrapbook where we can look back and reflect the many blessings that have been in our lives. (one day)

Also pictured in the photo is the devotional that was mentioned in an earlier post. I am grateful for those that linked other calendar devotionals to me but unfortunately they were all by other artists by the same name, Chris Shea. Who knew there could be more than one artist named Chris Shea who designs devotional calendars? Well...by the looks of things, I will have to accept that this calendar will come to an end, as most things in life do, and that I will need to embrace a change again. I pray that the new calendar fills my soul with the simple lessons that are needed in the new year. Only God knows where this will lead. Any suggestions?

Gratitude is the fairest blossom which springs from the soul. ~Henry Ward Beecher

No comments: