Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Seventy Eight

A few weeks ago, I emotionally began to prepare for Mother's Day. I knew it would be a hard day. It would be a bittersweet day to give thanks for the lives of my four children and the priviledge of being their mother, but I also knew it would be hard since one of those precious babies is no longer within my earthly reach. As it has been in the past, we began by discussing our options. What ways could we choose to celebrate that would allow us to be able to handle the day emotionally. Any choice we could make isn't without pain. The question is always how much pain can we bear? To be honest, certain choices that we could make only have the potential of increasing our pain in the end. We are facing a time where we need to allow ourselves permission to guard our hearts against such pain and to make our decisions wisely. I can assure you that a grieving heart has a difficult time making decisions because nothing feels totally right anymore. Someone very special is missing from the equation and that changes everything.

It was then that I felt it was placed upon my heart to do something for the mothers who would be spending Mother's Day in the hospital this year. I remember so vividly the feelings in my very own heart on Mother's day last year. I remember the pain, fear, sadness, and even helplessness. I also remember love, hope, peace, and compassion. None the less, what I wouldn't have given to be celebrating my very first Mother's Day as Jeremy's mother, at home with him in my arms. That never happened. Sadly it never happened...

So here I am trying my best to move on, all the while, holding onto to the hand of my Lord and Savior. Trusting His word, Trusting in the cross. I am opening my soul to be transparent to witness the Power of God working within me each and every day.

I have thought many times about the depths of pain and sadness that I feel. To this very day, I still feel powerless in some senses. I cannot change my situation at all. However, I have a choice each and every day of what I am going to do with my feelings about my situation. It is not without pain, but I choose life. I choose life each and every day and I have since June 8, 2008.

As I thought about Mother's Day I thought about how I could relate to these Moms at the hospital. I can relate to their feelings, their hopes, their fears, and just about everything inbetween. I also remain so very grateful for all that was done for me and my family during the worst time in our lives. I will never forget the thousands of ways that others shared their love, support, and prayers for our family. I will never forget as long as I live.

Philippians 2: 1 -5

If you have any encouragement from being united with Christ, if any comfort from his love, if any fellowship with the spirit, if any tenderness and compassion, then make my joy complete by being like-minded, having the same love, being one in spirit and purpose. Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit, but in humility consider others better than yourselves. Each of you should look not only to your own interests, but also to the interests of others. Your attitude should be the same as that of Christ Jesus.

Mothers of children in the PICU and the house where we stayed for so long will always remain close to my heart. I can choose to do something to help them. I can carry them to Jesus. I can pray for their children and for their families as they cope with circumstances and pain that are unimaginable and unthinkable to most people. I can show compassion...I can invite others to join me.

The only miracle reported in each of the four Gospels, besides the resurrection, is the feeding of the five thousand. If it is worth repeating four times, it must be worth hearing. What seemed ridiculous to the disciples was in fact simple for Jesus. He said to them "How many loaves do you have?" With the loaves that they had on hand, Jesus fed the hungry. Most of us don't realize the "loaves" we have have in our own lives, the ways that we can help and nourish those who live among us. With the help of God, we can feed and help others in our own lives. If we give what we have back to the Lord we will stand back and be amazed at what he can do with it. God takes our "loaves" and feeds those around us ... This is truly the explanation for what happened to this Mother's Day project.

I invited others to participate . I am merely a vessel. I hoped that I would be able to receive 41 gifts but honestly I did not know if I would or could reach my goal. I gave my desires over to God. Well... God provided all right. He surpassed my goal and all my expectations. It is my honor to share with you that with the help of God and so many other Moms and families, 78 mothers received a Mother's Day bag full of gifts! I said SEVENTY EIGHT! Amazing... tears fill my eyes just thinking about it. The bags were stuffed, we honestly could not fit another item in the bag if we wanted to. Together, we impacted the lives of seventy eight mothers. Seventy seven mothers felt compassion from complete strangers. That is beautiful. We may never know the ripple effect of such kindness when someone needed it most. This most likely wasn't the joyous day that these mothers had hoped for. I can only pray that, even for a moment, that they felt the loving embrace of other mothers who care and certainly found peace knowing that God hasn't left their sides, not even for a second.

So I will close with the most sincere gratefulness and appreciation for those of you that contributed an item/donation or prayed for the success of this project. Thank you for giving your "loaves" of love to share with a mom who really needed to feel loved. Thank you for helping me to have a healthy and productive distraction from my pain.

With a Most Grateful Heart,

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

God is just making it all about the numbers this month! Praise God that so many women were able to be touched by the generous contributions of others! I had them all in my thoughts and prayers on Mother's Day, including you, as I am sure it was a tough day to get through. What a wonderful way to defeat Satan's grip on your emotions...turning your mourning into something positive to benefit others. Thank you again for allowing us to be a part of this mission as well as helping you on your journey to healing. Though I know it may take a lifetime to have that peace in your soul, I hope you are reminded that you are not alone in the challenges you will face. Don't let anyone put a time frame or limit on when you should be "over" losing Jeremy. I don't think you could ever get over something so heart wrenching as a mother. However, time will help you learn how to live through this tragedy as I'm sure you have lived through others. None quite so hard, though, I'm sure! So in the mean time, hang on to that beloved Savior of ours, keep looking straight ahead to the end of the tunnel, and remember that as each day comes to a close, it is one day closer to the prize you will find in Heaven!

I had you on my mind a lot on Saturday as I could tell your soul was so heavy when I saw you Friday night. As I drove through town I prayed for you and asked God how you and your family, or anyone else for that matter, could get through something like this and keep living. The answer came immediately in a song I had never heard. Here are the lyrics...

The Voice of Truth
by Casting Crowns

Oh,what I would do to have
the kind of faith it takes
To climb out of this boat I'm in
Onto the crashing waves
To step out of my comfort zone
Into the realm of the unknown
Where Jesus is,
And he's holding out his hand

But the waves are calling out my name
and they laugh at me
Reminding me of all the times
I've tried before and failed
The waves they keep on telling me
time and time again
"Boy, you'll never win,
you'll never win."

But the voice of truth tells me a different story
the voice of truth says "do not be afraid!"
and the voice of truth says "this is for my glory"
Out of all the voices calling out to me
I will choose to listen and believe the voice of truth

Oh, what I would do
to have the kind of strength it takes
To stand before a giant
with just a sling and a stone
Surrounded by the sound
of a thousand warriors
shaking in their armor
Wishing they'd have had the strength to stand

But the giant's calling out
my name and he laughs at me
Reminding me of all the times
I've tried before and failed
The giant keeps on telling me
time and time again
"Boy you'll never win,
you'll never win."

But the voice of truth tells me a different story
the voice of truth says "do not be afraid!"
and the voice of truth says "this is for my glory"
Out of all the voices calling out to me
I will choose to listen and believe the voice of truth

But the stone was just the right size
to put the giant on the ground
and the waves they don't seem so high
from on top of them looking down
I will soar with the wings of eagles
when I stop and listen to the sound of Jesus
singing over me

But the voice of truth tells me a different story
The voice of truth says "do not be afraid"
And the voice of truth says "this is for my glory"
Out of all the voices calling out to me (calling out to me)
I will choose to listen and believe (I will choose to listen and believe)
I will choose to listen and believe the voice of truth

I will listen and believe
I will listen and believe the voice of truth
I will listen and believe
'Cause Jesus you are the voice of truth
And I will listen to you.. oh you are

Very powerful song! I hope you have heard it before! It just reminded me that we may not be called out onto the waves by Jesus himself, or expected to slay a giant with a single stone, but Satan puts those things in our lives in different forms. Satan rocks that boat you are in, all the while telling you that you will never make it, causing you to wonder if you could ever walk on those waves. Satan puts giants before us, mountains we never thought we could climb or would have to climb. He whispers in your ear, "Look how big it is. You are weak and helpless. You can never make it over that! You may as well give up now." BUT...the voice of TRUTH, He tells us a different story. He reminds us that this is ALL for HIS glory!

Keep reaching and fighting, sweet warrior. I know I refer to you as a warrior often....simply because you are! We are all warriors and soldiers in the battles we fight every day in our lives. Especially those who walk with the Lord. We are at the forefront of Christ's army, fighting for His name and for His glory. Satan is in front of us, facing us off and trying to fight us down. Little does he know, we have the best weapon of all....the Voice of Truth! He lives inside of you and I and will never leave us. That is a power Satan can never have!!

I praise God for you today, sweet one. You are a wonderful vessel of His love and glory.

In Him,
Julie

Angie McLean said...

Praise God! I am soooo amazed by you and yours! What a fantastic idea! I am soooo awe struck how God works through your words and ways. God is soo good! He is solvent and strong for us. He is with us...waiting for us to fall forward to Him. We love you dearly. If you do this next year..or even for Father's Day..let me know I'd love to help you!
God bless yoU!
Ang, CHuck, Gabbi and Maddi.
I am blessed by your words of faith..you inspire me to read the word and get the spirit moved to see the magic of His love!
xooxo

LookingforSunshine in Denver said...

Amy- I stop all my busyness to catch up on the blog today. I am so glad I did. Your in my mind and thoughts daily. Brian continues to wear Jeremy's braclet and has vowed to do so until it breaks off. I wish I could reach out and give you a hug. I continue to hate being so far away. I thank you for your quite whispers that remind me to cherish the important things in my life. To stop and play and try to let God lead - because ultimtly he IS in charge. Sending you tons of "rodo" sunshine today.
Love, Veronica