Sunday, May 24, 2009

We Remember...

Technical difficulties have once again occurred. I am learning more about this blog world as we speak. I suppose some people saw a new title listed and then were unable to find text to go along with it. Guess what? The same thing happened to me... sadly I spent a fair amount of time journaling about a significant event that we attended last week only to find an empty text box today. AHHH...

So here goes Take II

The hospital where our son spent the last 70 days of his life hosts an annual memorial service for the families who have lost their children to tragedies of many kinds. It was beautifully done yet incredibly sad. Time has moved on and yet I still could not believe that we are a family that attends an event like this. It was a time set aside for families to "pause and remember" their children.

The room was filled with parents just like me, suffering the same pain as they face each day without their special children. That in itself was a dichotomy of feelings. If one were to look around, you would feel sad that there were so many families who had lost their precious children, yet there was comfort in that room too. These parents are facing the same pain and suffering through the severe emptiness in their hearts too. It was a place to "be real", no acting, no white lies, no feelings of people not being able to understand. It was a very emotional evening but as I continue to spend time with these other parents, I find it is also a breath of fresh air. It is yet another provision that God has provided for me. He has provided me a support system. I am sad that other families feel this hurt. I wish no one else ever had to feel this pain. Sadly, I have learned that it is part of life here on earth. I am thankful for the new friendships that I have formed with these parents and I am humbled to endure this storm together.

I am thankful for the opportunity to hear my son's name called and to know that he has not been forgotten.

I am thankful that so many compassionate people worked hard to make a night like this possible for families. It was unforgettable. Your efforts and time were greatly appreciated.

I was thankful for the opportunity to see the many expressions of grief that other families have shared.

I was thankful for the opportunity to write Jeremy's name on a quilt which will hang on the wall in the hospital.

I was thankful for the openness of the other families and their willingness to share their stories.

I was thankful for the photo slideshow. It was a moving experience to see the children.

I was thankful for the poems that two special siblings wrote and shared with the group. You could feel the love in their hearts.

I am thankful for the parents who are able to remember the early days of their grief and events from the first year. I am thankful for their willingness to share that pain in order to help another parent. It has been a tremendous support system and I am ever so grateful to have a "sponsor" if you will, to check in with from time to time.

I was thankful for the continued support of our hospital family. It was wonderful to see one of Jeremy's doctors and a very special nurse. I was touched that they took the time to attend and to visit the families. I was brought to tears hearing that they remembered Jeremy. I was also thankful to hear that other families "grieve" the loss of the relationships formed in the hospital. I deeply miss our PICU family and wish there was an easier way that we could stay in touch better.

I was thankful for our extended family and prayer warriors that were physically present and also for those who were with us in spirit. I am also thankful for their visual support as they ALL wore yellow in Jeremy's honor.

I was thankful to find a yellow dress to wear and for my son's help in finding it. I enjoyed a special evening shopping with him.

I was thankful for the kind friend who shared her shawl with me since my dress was sleeveless.
Our budget thanks you too!

I was thankful for the yummy chocolate covered marshmallows. YUMMY!

I was thankful for the beautiful flowers that I was able to bring home.

I was thankful for the craft that my other children were able to make to express their emotions of the evening.

I am thankful for my Lord and Savior who has carried me to this place in my life. He has been my source of strength these last eleven months. I am thankful for the ultimate sacrifice he made so that we may have eternal life with him in heaven.

All in all, it was a beautiful service that honored the lives of some very special and brave children. These beacons of light have taught us all so much about life.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

First of all, I wanted to let you know that I have been praying for you a lot these weeks as I know this is such a difficult time. You are on my heart and in my mind so that I might pray for your peace and strength every time the spirit reminds me of you. I happened upon a song today that brought tears to my eyes as I thought of you and another friend of mine who is coming up on the 2 year anniversary of her newborn son's death. I had followed a link to see a video on you tube that a friend told me about and I noticed a different one on the sidebar that caught my attention. It was a tribute video for a little girl named Audrey Caroline who died shortly after birth due to birth defects. These are the lyrics to the song. I searched for it on the internet but don't know that it is available on a CD or itunes. So if you want to hear the song just go to You Tube and type in Audrey Caroline. It's a beautiful video tribute to her and you can hear the song put to music. Anyway, grab your tissues...


These lyrics were written by Angie Smith (in collaboration with her husband Todd from Selah and Christa Wells) to her daughter Audrey Caroline.

I Will Carry You

There were photographs I wanted to take
Things I wanted to show you
Sing sweet lullabies, wipe your teary eyes
Who could love you like this?

People say that I am brave but I'm not
Truth is I'm barely hanging on
But there's a greater story
Written long before me
Because He loves you like this

So I will carry you
While your heart beats here
Long beyond the empty cradle
Through the coming years
I will carry you
All my life
And I will praise the One Who's chosen me
To carry you

Such a short time
Such a long road
All this madness
But I know
That the silence
Has brought me to His voice
And He says...

I've shown her photographs of time beginning
Walked her through the parted seas
Angel lullabies, no more teary eyes
Who could love her like this?

I will carry you
While your heart beats here
Long beyond the empty cradle
Through the coming years
I will carry you
All your life
And I will praise the One Who's chosen Me
To carry you

Sweet Amy, I will leave you with that. I don't think I could possibly say anymore that would touch you so deeply!

Love in Him,
Julie

Anonymous said...

I am thankful for you and your spirit of hope! You bring such sunshine to the world with your attitude, your ability to open your heart to others, and your joy in the Lord. Thank YOU, Amy, for being a ray of light for us, too! Jeremy will never be forgotten as he lives on in you. You have sacrificed of yourself for other parents in grief and have worn your heart and soul on your sleeve at times no matter the pain it sometimes brings. I praise God every time I think of you and pray for you!

In Him,
Julie