Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Meal Swap

It was a little of an off kinda day. The kids were all off from school since we had icy roads this morning. Our meal swap typically occurs on Mondays but yesterday was a holiday and so we bumped to Tuesday this month. After some confusion with the schedule and then the winter weather conditions, we weren't sure how things would work out for tonight. All ended well and we were able to swap meals. Good thing since my freezer was looking a little bare.

In the end, I made a Teriyaki Pork Stir Fry using a recipe from a favorite Pampered Chef cookbook. I forgot to give the ladies their cans of Bamboo Shoots for their meal, but then again I did say that it was an off kinda day.I received chicken fajitas, barbecue beef brisket, and TWO Tangy Ranch chicken meals in return. First of all, it really is that good. A friend asked me today what my family's win win recipe were, you know the ones where everyone is excited about dinner. At first it was difficult to think of specific recipes but then after I emailed her back a generic list of good meals, I kept thinking of ones that we all really loved, and this was one of them. In fact, it was a hit with all of the meal swap families. Obviously this is true, since two of our families made the same meal, making meal swap history. No one is complaining since everyone loves this meal and besides it would make a perfect meal for company. One additional meal is also on it's way to my freezer sometime soon and I guess bamboo shoots will need to be delivered as well...

After a four day unexpected weekend with the kids, it was nice to have some friends over, a different set of conversation topics, warm friendships, and an excuse to make some yummy snacks and pour a glass of wine. It is always nice to catch up and laugh a little with my girlfriends. We have known each other for awhile now, some longer than others, but none the less, in this life together through rain and sunshine. We have and will continue to hold onto each other andDANCE through the many OPPORTUNITIES that life may throw our way, the good and the bad. That is what really makes me smile tonight, you know the kind of smile that fills you up from head to toe.

The icing on the cake was that one of the Moms came with her daughter tonight and they brought a surprise for me. Miss M handmade blankets for our foundation to give to kids in the hospital. She made matching blankets for a child and their parent in really adorable patterns of fabric. How sweet is that? I was amazed at her talent but most of all her heart! That made my day and I am confident that it will make the children who receive these blankets feel loved too.

Hope you had a warm day too.

1 comment:

mamcf0371 said...

Amy,
What a warm story you shared tonight about your friend, and the blankets! That is so wonderful.

Many blessings to you,

Michele